Firstly, a big thank you to all of you who made the time to come to the last Assembly where we explored together the idea of a Learning Hub. I hope you found the event as stimulating and as useful as I did. From my point of view, it was really helpful to get a feel for what you think is important and to test our ideas against that. I am happy (and somewhat relieved!) to report that there is considerable overlap between what we think we need to be doing and what you told us.
We can be encouraged that
- The results suggest that there is a significant appetite for learning across a broad range.
- Mission is strongly evident in the responses with a large emphasis on addressing the Common Good.
- People are very interested in discovering the Bible.
- You want to know how to apply Christian faith to the issues that face us, particularly the environmental challenge.
We need to note that
- There is a relatively low level of concern with learning for leadership. (Previous investigation has suggested that this is a key area to address.)
- Various aspects of leading worship are identified as important. (This is not something we were considering.)
As we keep building the project, we will want to come back to you from time to time and check that we are pointing in the same direction. Equally, we will try to keep you informed as and when there are things to share and any significant developments.
In the meantime, we are still offering learning through our coMPass programme and the Autumn leaflet will be out shortly. We are intending to run two courses this term, Leading for a Change and, in the run up to the festive season, Discovering the Core of Christmas. If you want to make an active difference in the city or the church and want the tools and support to get you started, then Leading for a Change may well be for you. If you want to explore Christmas, its biblical background and the issues it raises then try Discovering the Core of Christmas.
In whatever learning you engage, I pray that you will grow in the knowledge and wisdom of God.
pdf version to download – Mission Partnership Newsletter September 2019