Press Release from CTE – Statement in response to the killing of Fr Jacques Hamel in Rouen, France
PRESS RELEASE FROM CHURCHES TOGETHER IN ENGLAND
Church Leaders deeply saddened
Statement in response to the killing of Fr Jacques Hamel in Rouen, France
We are deeply saddened to learn of the brutal murder of our brother, 84-year old priest, Fr Jacques Hamel in Saint-Etienne-du-Rouvray, Rouen, France. That a man of peace who had dedicated his life to serving people could be killed during Mass is testimony to the evil that drives the actions of those who commit such a crime. We offer our deepest sympathy to his family, friends and parishioners. We pray for the wellbeing of those who were taken hostage, their families and the entire community served by Fr Jacques; indeed we pray for the peace of France, Europe, the Middle East and the world for which Jesus, the Prince of Peace, gave his own life.
We call upon all people of goodwill to pray and work for justice and peace. In particular, we implore everyone to help people everywhere to pursue the path of peace and human flourishing – which is the will of Creator God.
The Presidents of Churches Together in England
27 July 2016
This statement can also be found online on the CTE website – here
- Churches Together in England is a visible sign of the Churches’ commitment to mission and unity together. It currently has 45 national Member Churches.
- The Presidents of Churches Together in England:
- Archbishop Justin Welby, The Archbishop of Canterbury
- Cardinal Vincent Nichols, The Cardinal Archbishop of Westminster
- Revd Dr Hugh Osgood, The Free Churches Moderator
- HE Archbishop Gregorios of Thyateira and Great Britain, The President for the Orthodox Churches
- The Revd Canon Billy Kennedy, The President nominated by the New Churches, the Religious Society of Friends (ie the Quakers) and the Lutheran and German-speaking Churches
- Bishop Dr Eric Brown, The Pentecostal President
- For further comment
Bishop Joe Aldred, Churches Together in England
07775 632288; firstname.lastname@example.org